Required Tools and Supplies
- 13mm Socket
- 15mm Socket
- 13mm Wrench
- 15mm Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile. To remove and install the lower A-Arm (control arm) on your Patriot 9R PRO RMK Slash or KHAOS Slash, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the snowmobile is on a flat, level surface.
2. Safely elevate the snowmobile. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for proper lifting techniques.
3. Remove the sway bar link fastener, washer and nut with a 13mm socket and 13mm wrench. Discard the nut.
4. Remove the fastener and washer securing the shock to the lower control arm with a 13mm socket. Discard the fastener.
5. Continue by counter-holding and removing the lower control arm spindle fastener, washers and nut with a 15mm socket and 15mm wrench. Discard the nut.
6. Counter-hold the front pivot fastener and remove the nut. Discard the nut.
7. Remove and discard the three lower control arm nuts with a 13mm socket.
8. Remove the lower control arm assembly.
9. If reusing the control arm, clean the arm with a clean shop rag.
10. Inspect the pivot tubes for wear or damage and replace if necessary.
11. Inspect the spherical bearing for wear or damage and replace if necessary.
12. Align the lower control arm assembly with the mounts on the sled and install the assembly. Loosely secure the assembly with three new nuts.
13. Loosely reinstall the pivot fastener through the right side of the vehicle and secure with a new nut.
14. Align the ski spindle with the lower spherical bearing and reinstall the retained fastener up through the bottom while installing a retained washer on each side.
15. Loosely secure with a new nut.
16. Before continuing, inspect the shock bushing as well as the sway bar link bushing for wear or damage and replace if necessary.
17. Align the shock with its mount in the control arm and secure with the retained washer and a new fastener.
18. Reinstall the retained sway bar link fastener from the left and secure with the retained washer and a new nut.
19. Torque the lower control arm nuts to 30 ft-lbs (41 Nm).
20. Counter-hold and torque the front pivot fastener to 40 ft-lbs (54 Nm).
21. Continue by counter-holding and torquing the lower control arm spindle nut to 40 ft-lbs (54 Nm).
22. Torque the shock fastener to 37 ft-lbs (50 Nm).
23. Finally, counter-hold and torque the sway bar link fastener to 20 ft-lbs (27 Nm).
24. Finish by lowering the vehicle completely.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc