Tools and Supplies Required:
- T40 TORX® Socket
- 15mm Wrench
- 15mm Crowfoot Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
1. Park the sled on a flat, level surface.
2. Remove each side panel by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panels away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Rotate the driven clutch counterclockwise to its end stop to move all chain slack to the tensioner side.
4. Lock the parking brake.
5. Remove the fastener on the lower right side of the console with a T40 TORX® socket.
6. With a pliers, remove the push rivet that secures the lower right portion of the console.
7. Continue by removing the push rivet underneath that secures the right fender to the footrest.
8. If equipped with a battery, remove the battery for additional clearance. Always remove the negative cable first to prevent arcing. The full procedure can be found in the 850 INDY VR1 Battery Removal and Installation article.
9. Loosen the adjuster bolt jam nut with a 15mm wrench.
10. Finger tighten the adjuster bolt until it can no longer be adjusted by hand. Then back off one-quarter of a turn.
11. Retighten the jam nut with a 15mm crowfoot wrench and torque to 21 ft-lbs (28 Nm) while holding the adjuster bolt.
12. If equipped, reinstall the battery, beginning with the positive cable to prevent arcing.
13. Reinstall the push rivet underneath the console.
14. Install the push rivet on the lower right portion of the console.
15. Reinstall the lower console fastener and torque until fully seated.
16. Reinstall both side panels by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
17. Latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure each panel.
To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC.