Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Measurement Tool
- 7/16-Inch Wrench
- 1/8-Inch Allen
- Torque Wrench
- Straight Edge
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile.
To inspect and adjust the drive belt deflection on your Polaris Matryx Switchback Assault 146 with an 850 engine, follow these steps. Before performing this procedure, always make sure both clutches are at rest in their full neutral position.
1. Park the snowmobile on a flat, level surface.
2. Remove the left side panel by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panel away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Place a straight edge on the belt.
4. Apply downward pressure between the clutches to measure the deflection. The deflection should be 1¼ inches (3.2 cm).
5. If adjustment is needed, remove the clutch spreader tool and spread the panels apart as needed.
6. Loosen the jam nut on the belt width adjuster with a 7/16-inch wrench.
7. Using a 1/8-inch Allen, turn the set screw inward to increase the distance between the sheaves or outward to decrease the distance.
8. Once deflection has been set, hold the set screw and lightly tighten the jam nut.
9. Spread the clutch one-half inch.
10. Torque the jam nut to 12 ft-lbs (16 Nm).
11. Remove the straight edge.
12. Remove the clutch spreader tool while spinning the belt clockwise. Reinstall the clutch spreader tool.
13. Recheck belt deflection once again and repeat this process as needed. Always remember to remove the straight edge before proceeding.
14. Reinstall the side panel by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
15. Finally, latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure the panel.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.