Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile. To adjust the drive chain tension on your Polaris INDY EVO or RMK EVO, follow these steps:
1. Park the sled on a flat, level surface.
2. Remove both side panels by releasing the rubber strap and turning the two latches. Pull the panels out and lift up to remove.
3. Next, rotate the driven clutch counter-clockwise to its end stop to move all chain slack to the tensioner side.
4. Then lock the parking brake.
5. If equipped with a battery, remove the battery for additional clearance. Always remove the negative cable first to prevent arcing.
6. Next, loosen the adjuster bolt jam nut with a 15mm wrench.
7. Finger-tighten the adjuster bolt until it can no longer be adjusted by hand. Then back off one quarter of a turn.
8. Next, retighten the jam nut and, using a 15mm crowfoot wrench, torque to 21 ft-lbs (28 Nm) while holding the adjuster bolt.
9. If equipped, reinstall the battery, beginning with the positive cable first to prevent arcing.
10. Then reinstall both side panels by inserting the tabs at the bottom and top.
11. Finally, secure the rubber strap and the quarter-turn latches.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.