This video will outline the pump and front cover methods that can be used to change the chaincase fluid on a Polaris INDY SP. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your snowmobile.
1. Ensure the vehicle is on a flat, level surface.
2. Set the parking brake.
3. Clean the area around the fill plug. Tip: Place a rag under the fill plug to catch any escaping fluid.
4. Remove the fill plug with a 6mm Allen socket and set it aside.
5. To extract the fluid using the pump method:
- Safely elevate the front of the snowmobile using a floor jack or appropriate lift.
- Insert the tube of the suction device into the fill hole. Direct the hose toward the bottom front area of the cover, away from the chain and sprocket.
- Extract the oil using the suction device.
- Then safely lower the snowmobile to fill the chaincase.
6. To drain the fluid using the front cover method:
- Remove the right side panel by releasing the rubber strap and turning the two quarter turn latches. Pull the panel out and lift up to remove.
- Remove the three push rivets securing the side panel trim. Pull the trim apart as needed.
- If equipped with a battery, remove the battery and bracket.
- Remove the two T40 TORX® fasteners securing the lower fender to the chaincase.
- Place a drain pan underneath the chaincase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of fluid.
- Using a 10mm socket, loosen but do not remove the three lower chaincase cover fasteners.
- Carefully pry the cover open on the cover tab. Caution: DO NOT insert a screwdriver or pry bar between the cover and chaincase. Seal damage may occur.
- Allow the fluid to drain completely.
- Reinstall the three cover fasteners. Torque to 11 ft-lbs (15 Nm).
7. Fill the chaincase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out.
8. Reinstall the fill plug. Torque to 4 ft-lbs (6 Nm).
9. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and dispose of the used fluid properly.
10. If using the front cover method, continue with the following steps:
- Reinstall the fasteners securing the lower fender to the chaincase.
- Reinstall the battery bracket and battery if needed.
- Reconnect the side panel trims and reinstall the three push rivets.
- Then reinstall the side panel by inserting the tabs on the bottom and top. Secure the rubber strap and the quarter-turn latches.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC