Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- 6mm Allen Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Fluid Filler
- Drain Pan
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
This video will outline how to change the chaincase fluid on a Polaris 550 INDY. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your snowmobile.
1. Ensure the vehicle is on a flat, level surface.
2. Set the parking brake.
3. Clean the area around the fill plug. Tip: Place a rag under the fill plug to catch any escaping fluid.
4. Remove the fill plug with a 6mm Allen socket and set it aside.
5. Place a drain pan underneath the chaincase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of fluid.
6. Clean the area around the drain plug and remove it with a 6mm Allen socket. Allow the fluid to drain completely.
7. Clean any dirt or debris from the fill and drain plugs.
8. Inspect the O-rings on both plugs and replace them if necessary.
9. Reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 6 to 10 ft-lbs (8-13 Nm).
10. Fill the chaincase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The required fluid is Polaris Synthetic Snowmobile Chaincase Lubricant, part number 2873105.
11. Wipe the fill area with a clean cloth.
12. Reinstall the fill plug. Torque to 6 to 10 ft-lbs (8-13 Nm).
13. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and dispose of the used fluid properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
Caliber® is a registered trademark of Caliber, Inc.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2021 Polaris Inc.