Required Tools and Supplies:
- T40 TORX® Socket
- Two 15mm Wrenches
- 15mm Crowfoot Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
For more information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses when servicing your Polaris snowmobile.
To adjust the drive chain tension on your model year 2022 and newer INDY XC, INDY XCR or INDY Adventure, follow these steps.
1. Park the snowmobile on a flat, level surface.
2. Remove both side panels by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panels away from the sled, and pull out to remove.
3. Rotate the driven clutch counterclockwise to its end stop to move all chain slack to the tensioner side.
4. Lock the parking brake.
5. Remove the fastener on the lower-right side of the console with a T40 TORX® socket.
6. Remove the push-pin rivet securing the lower-right portion of the console with a pliers.
7. Continue by removing the push-pin rivet underneath securing the right fender to the footrest.
8. If your snowmobile is equipped with a battery, remove the battery for additional clearance. Always remove the negative cable first to prevent arcing.
9. Use the 15mm wrenches to loosen the adjuster bolt jam nut.
10. Finger-tighten the adjuster bolt until it can no longer be adjusted by hand. Then back off one quarter of a turn.
11. Retighten the jam nut. Torque to 21 ft-lbs (28 Nm) with a 15mm crowfoot wrench while holding the adjuster bolt.
12. If equipped, reinstall the battery beginning with the positive cable to prevent arcing.
13. Reinstall the push-pin rivet underneath the console.
14. Install the push-pin rivet on the lower-right portion of the console.
15. Reinstall the lower console fastener. Torque to 71 in-lbs (8 Nm).
16. Reinstall both side panels by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
17. Finally, latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure each panel.
Looking for information on changing chaincase fluid? Read Matryx INDY Chaincase Fluid Replacement.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
Hayes is a registered trademark of Hayes Bicycle Group, Inc.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC
WALKER EVANS RACING® is a registered trademark of Walker Evans Enterprises Incorporated
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.