Tools and Supplies Required:
- Spark Plug Wrench
- 13/16-Inch Crowfoot Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile.
To inspect and replace the spark plugs on your Polaris INDY VR1 with an 850 engine, follow these steps:
1. Park the sled on a flat, level surface.
2. Remove each side panel by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panels away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Disconnect the two hood latches.
4. Lift the hood up slightly to gain access to the connector underneath.
5. Disconnect the connector and remove the hood from the sled.
6. Carefully remove both spark plug leads.
7. Clean the area around the spark plug to prevent debris from falling into the engine.
8. Remove the spark plug wrench from the spark plug holder.
9. Using the spark plug wrench, loosen the two spark plugs and remove them from the vehicle.
10. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup.
11. Also, inspect and adjust the spark plug gap if needed. The gap should measure 0.027 inches (0.7 mm).
12. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. The spark plug is NGK BPR 9ES, which is part number 3022082.
13. Install the spark plugs into the engine and torque with a 13/16-inch crowfoot wrench to 18-22 ft-lbs (24-30 Nm).
14. Reinstall the spark plug leads and verify they are secure.
15. Reinstall the spark plug wrench in its holder.
16. Next, reinstall the hood panel, ensuring the tabs in front are properly engaged.
17. Reconnect the connector underneath and verify it is secure.
18. Secure the two hood panel latches.
19. Reinstall both side panels by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
20. Latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure each panel.
21. Start the engine to ensure proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.