Tools and Supplies Required:
- 10mm Socket
- T40 TORX® Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when performing maintenance on your Polaris snowmobile. To remove and install the battery on your Polaris Matryx Switchback Assault 146 with a 650 engine, follow these steps:
1. Park the snowmobile on a flat, level surface and remove the key.
2. Remove the right side panel by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panel away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Using a T40 TORX® socket, remove the fastener on the lower right side of the console.
4. Using a pliers, remove the push rivet securing the lower right portion of the console.
5. Remove the push rivet underneath securing the right fender to the footrest.
6. Using a pick, remove the rubber battery strap.
7. Lift the battery cover up and out of the sled.
8. Using a 10mm socket, remove the negative battery cable first to prevent arcing. Set aside.
9. Remove the positive cable protector boot.
10. With a 10mm socket, remove the positive battery cable and set aside.
11. Lift the battery up and pull out from the snowmobile.
12. Clean out the inside of the battery tray with a clean cloth.
13. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris or damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery.
14. Carefully reinstall the battery into the snowmobile.
15. Reinstall the positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 36 in-lbs (4 Nm) and reinstall the protector boot.
16. Reinstall the negative cable. Torque to 36 in-lbs (4 Nm).
17. Apply a light film of dielectric grease or petroleum jelly to both terminals.
18. Before reassembly, verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
19. Reinstall the battery cover.
20. Reinstall the cover strap by hooking it to the tab behind the battery and securing it to the front tab.
21. Reinstall the push rivet underneath the console.
22. Install the push rivet on the lower right portion of the console.
23. Reinstall the lower console fastener and torque until fully seated.
24. Reinstall the side panel by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
25. Latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure the panel.
26. Finish by starting the snowmobile to verify the battery has been connected properly.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC