Required Tools and Supplies:
- Drain Pan (Front Cover Method)
- Shop Rags
- Torque Wrench
- Prying Tool (Front Cover Method)
- T40 TORX® Socket (Front Cover Method), 10mm Socket (Front Cover Method) and 6mm Allen Socket
- Fluid Suction Device (Suction Method)
- Fluid Filler
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
For more information on tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide
This video will outline the pump and front cover methods that can be used to change the chaincase fluid on a Polaris Pro-RMK AXYS with a 3-inch track. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your snowmobile.
1. Ensure the vehicle is on a flat, level surface.
2. Set the parking brake.
3. Clean the area around the fill plug. Tip: Place a rag under the fill plug to catch any escaping fluid.
4. Remove the fill plug with a 6mm Allen socket.
5. To extract the fluid using the pump method:
- Safely elevate the front of the snowmobile using a floor jack or appropriate lift.
- Insert the tube of the suction device into the fill hole. Direct the hose toward the bottom front area of the cover, away from the chain and sprocket.
- Extract the oil from the chaincase.
- And safely lower the snowmobile.
6. To drain the fluid using the front cover method:
- Remove the right side panel by releasing the rubber strap and turning the two quarter-turn latches. Pull the panel out and remove.
- Remove the three push rivets securing the side panel trim. Pull the trim apart as needed.
- If equipped with a battery, remove the battery and bracket.
- Place a drain pan underneath the chaincase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of fluid.
- Using a 10mm socket, loosen but do not remove the lower chaincase cover fasteners.
- Carefully pry the cover open on the cover tab. Caution: DO NOT insert a screwdriver or pry bar between the cover and chaincase. Seal damage may occur.
- Allow the fluid to drain completely.
- Reinstall the cover fasteners. Torque to 11 ft-lbs (15 Nm).
7. Fill the chaincase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out. The fluid capacity is 10.5 ounces (310 milliliters). A 1-quart bottle of Polaris Synthetic Chaincase Lubricant is part number 2873105.
8. Reinstall the fill plug. Torque to 4 ft-lbs (6 Nm).
9. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and dispose of the used fluid properly.
10. If using the front cover method, continue with these steps:
- If needed, reinstall the battery bracket and battery. Ensure the battery harness is properly routed on the bracket.
- Reconnect the side panel trims and reinstall the three push rivets.
- Then reinstall the side panel by inserting the tabs on the front and bottom. Secure the rubber strap and two quarter-turn latches.
Looking for information on adjusting your drive chain tension? Read Pro-RMK AXYS 3-Inch Track Drive Chain Tension Adjustment.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC