Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile. To change the chaincase fluid on a Polaris AXYS Switchback XCR or INDY XCR, do the following:
1. Ensure the vehicle is on a flat, level surface.
2. Set the parking brake.
3. Clean the area around the fill plug. Tip: Place a rag under the fill plug to catch any escaping fluid.
4. Remove the fill plug with a 6mm Allen socket.
5. To extract the fluid using the pump method:
- Elevate the front of the vehicle, using a floor jack or appropriate lift.
- Insert the tube of the suction device into the fill hole. Direct the hose toward the bottom front area of the cover, away from the chain and sprocket.
- Extract the oil from the chaincase.
- Lower the snowmobile.
6. To drain the fluid using the front cover method:
- Remove the right side panel by releasing the rubber strap and turning the two quarter-turn latches. Pull the side panel out and remove.
- Remove the three push rivets securing the side panel trim. Pull the trim apart as needed.
- If equipped with a battery, remove the battery.
- Remove the three fasteners securing the battery bracket and remove the bracket.
- Using a T40 TORX socket, remove the two fasteners securing the lower fender to the chaincase.
- Place a drain pan underneath the chaincase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent the splashing of fluid.
- Using a 10mm socket, loosen but do not remove the three lower chaincase cover fasteners.
- Carefully pry the cover open on the cover tab. Caution: DO NOT insert a screwdriver or pry bar between the cover and chaincase. Seal damage may occur.
- Allow the fluid to drain completely.
- Reinstall the three cover fasteners. Torque to 11 ft-lbs (15 Nm).
7. Fill the chaincase through the fill plug hole until fluid reaches the bottom threads and begins to spill out.
8. Reinstall the fill plug. Torque to 4 ft-lbs (6 Nm).
9. Clean any residual fluid off the vehicle and dispose of the used fluid properly.
10. If using the front cover method, continue with the following steps:
- Reinstall the fasteners securing the lower fender to the chaincase. Torque to 36 in-lbs (4 Nm).
- If needed, reinstall the battery bracket. Ensure the harness is properly routed inside the bracket.
- Reinstall the three bracket fasteners. Torque the bracket nuts to 7 ft-lbs (10 Nm) and the bracket fastener to 22 ft-lbs (30 Nm).
- Reinstall the battery if needed.
- Reconnect the side panel trim and reinstall the three push rivets.
- Then reinstall the side panel by inserting the tabs on the front and bottom. Secure the rubber strap and quarter-turn latches.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
TORX® is a registered trademark of Acument Intellectual Properties, LLC