Required Tools and Supplies
- Spark Plug Wrench
- 13/16-inch Spark Plug Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile.
To inspect and replace the spark plugs on your Patriot 9R PRO RMK Slash or KHAOS Slash, follow these steps:
1. Ensure the snowmobile is on a flat, level surface and remove the key.
2. Remove both side panels by releasing the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panels away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Disconnect the two hood latches and disconnect the connector.
4. Pivot the hood forward and remove from the sled.
5. Carefully remove both spark plug leads.
6. Clean the area around the spark plug to prevent debris from falling into the engine.
7. Before continuing, clean the area around the spark plugs with a clean shop rag.
8. Remove the spark plug tool from the spare belt holder. Tip: The skis can be steered left or right to gain better access to the spark plugs.
9. Loosen the two spark plugs and remove from the vehicle. If reusing, take note of the cylinders they were installed in for reinstallation.
10. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup and verify there are no cracks around the insulation. The spark plug should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion.
11. Inspect and adjust the spark plug gap if needed. The gap should be 0.027 inches (0.7 mm).
12. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. Replacement spark plugs are part number 3022082.
13. Install the spark plugs into the engine, and torque to 22 ft-lbs (30 Nm) with a 13/16-inch spark plug socket.
14. Reinstall the spark plug leads, and ensure they are secure.
15. Reinstall the spark plug tool in its holder.
16. Reinstall the hood panel, ensuring the tabs in front are properly engaged.
17. Reconnect the connector underneath and verify it is secure.
18. Secure the two hood panel latches.
19. Reinstall both side panels by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
20. Latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure each panel.
21. Finally, start the engine to ensure proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
NGK® is a registered trademark of NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc