Required Tools and Supplies
- 13mm Socket
- 15mm Socket
- 19mm Socket
- 13mm Wrench
- 15mm Wrench
- 17mm Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- Upper Control Arm Nuts
- Upper Spherical Bearing Nut
- Lower Shock Mount Nut
- Sway Bar Link Nut
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile.
To remove and install the upper A-Arm (control arm) on your ProStar S4 INDY Adventure, follow these steps:
1. Park the snowmobile on a flat, level surface and remove the key.
2. Safely elevate the snowmobile. Reference your Owner’s Manual for proper lifting techniques.
3. Remove the sway bar link fastener with a 13mm socket and 13mm wrench and discard the nut.
4. Remove the lower shock fastener with a 15mm socket and 15mm wrench and discard the nut.
5. Continue by counter-holding the upper control arm spherical bearing and remove the nut, washers and spherical bearing with a 19mm socket and 17mm wrench. Discard the nut.
6. Carefully separate the spherical bearing from the spindle.
7. Remove and discard the flange nuts securing the pivot shafts to the sled with a 13mm socket and remove the upper control arm assembly.
8. Before continuing, clean the control arm with a clean shop rag.
9. Inspect the arm for wear or damage, paying close attention to the spherical bearing and replace if necessary.
10. Also remove the pivot shafts and inspect for wear or damage and replace if necessary.
11. Align the control arm assembly with the mounts on the sled and reinstall the assembly.
12. Loosely secure with four new control arm nuts.
13. Loosely install the spherical bearing, retained washers with the dome facing down and a new flange nut.
14. Before continuing, inspect the shock bushing as well as the sway bar link bushing for wear or damage and replace if necessary.
15. Align the shock mounting holes and reinstall the retained fastener from the rear and secure with a new nut.
16. Align the sway bar link with the mounting hole in the control arm.
17. Reinstall the retained fastener from the left side of the sled and secure with a new nut.
18. Torque the upper control arm nuts to 30 ft-lbs (41 Nm).
19. Torque the spherical bearing nut to 48 ft-lbs (65 Nm).
20. Torque the shock fastener to 37 ft-lbs (50 Nm).
21. Torque the sway bar link fastener to 20 ft-lbs (27 Nm).
22. Finally, lower the vehicle completely.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.