Required Tools and Supplies
- 9/64-Inch Allen Socket
- 7/16-Inch Wrench
- 7/16-Inch Crow Foot
- Torque Wrench
- Clutch Spreader Tool
- Straight Edge
- Measuring Tape
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile.
To inspect and adjust the drive belt deflection on your ProStar S4 INDY Adventure, follow these steps. Before performing this procedure, always make sure both clutches are at rest in their full neutral position.
1. Ensure the snowmobile is on a flat, level surface.
2. Remove the left side panel by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panel away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Turn the latch on the belt holder and release the retention point.
4. Place a straight edge on the belt.
5. Apply downward pressure between the clutches to measure the deflection. The deflection should measure 1 1/4 inches (3.2 cm).
6. If adjustment is needed, loosen the jam nut on the belt width adjuster with a 7/16-inch wrench.
7. With a 9/64-inch Allen socket, turn the set screw inward to increase the distance between the sheaves or outward to decrease the distance.
8. Once deflection has been set, hold the set screw and lightly tighten the jam nut.
9. Remove the clutch spreader tool and spread the panels apart as needed.
10. Spread the clutch one-half inch or about one and a quarter centimeters.
11. Put the vehicle in gear to lock the clutch into place.
12. Torque the jam nut to 8 ft-lbs (11 Nm) with a 7/16-inch crow foot.
13. Remove the straight edge.
14. Remove the clutch spreader tool and reinstall the tool into the trim panel.
15. Spin the clutch five to seven times to help seat the belt on the sheaves.
16. Recheck belt deflection once again and repeat this process as needed. Note: Always remember to remove the straight edge before proceeding.
17. Reinstall the side panel by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
18. Finally, latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure the panel.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.