Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile. Before you ride your Polaris 850 INDY VR1, perform the pre-ride inspection as described in your Owner's Manual. Read, understand and follow all of the instructions, warnings and safety precautions in the Owner's Manual and on all product labels.
When performing your pre-ride inspection, do the following:
1. Perform a visual inspection of the sled, looking for debris, leaks and worn components that may impair its operation.
2. Remove both front side panels by turning the three quarter-turn latches. Pivot the panels away from the sled and pull out to remove.
3. Beginning on the left side, inspect the condition of the drive belt, looking for any looseness, fraying, missing cogs, burns, abrasions or damage.
4. Inspect the injection oil level in the oil tank and add oil as needed. VES Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Engine Oil is part number 2877882 for 1 quart (946 ml), part number 2877883 for 1 gallon (3.78 L) and part number 2877884 for 2.5 gallons (9.45 L).
5. Move over to the right side of the sled and inspect the brake pads and rotor for any corrosion, nicks or burrs.
6. Inspect the coolant level in the overflow bottle and add coolant as needed. Never remove the pressure cap while the engine is warm or hot. Polaris 50/50 Pre-Mixed Antifreeze is part number 2880514 for 1 quart (946 ml) and part number 2880513 for 1 gallon (3.78 L).
7. Clean the area around the chaincase fill plug and remove the fill plug with a 6mm Allen socket.
8. Ensure the fluid is level with the bottom of the threads and add fluid as needed. SCL Full Synthetic Chaincase Lubricant is part number 2873105 for 1 quart (946 ml) and part number 2873106 for 1 gallon (3.78 L).
9. Reinstall the chaincase fill plug. Torque to 4 ft-lbs (6 Nm).
10. Reinstall both side panels by inserting the upper tab and pivoting in to engage the lower tab.
11. Latch the three quarter-turn latches to secure each panel.
12. Move to the front suspension and inspect for fastener tightness on the shock assembly, control arms, sway bar, tie rods and spindle.
13. Inspect for any leaks and damage on all suspension components.
14. Continue by inspecting the skis for any damage or wear and replace if needed.
15. Lift up the skis and inspect the skags for wear. Always replace any worn skags before riding. For more information on skag replacement, read 850 INDY VR1 Skag Replacement.
16. Safely elevate the snowmobile per the Owner's Manual guidelines to inspect the rear suspension.
17. Check the front torque arm limiter strap for any wear or damage, and replace if needed.
18. Inspect the rail slides for wear. Replace if worn to the wear limit indicator groove.
19. Measure the track tension per the Owner's Manual guidelines and adjust as necessary. For more information on measuring track tension, read 850 INDY VR1 Track Inspection and Tension Adjustment.
20. Inspect the track for proper alignment by looking through the track windows in the rear. Ensure they are evenly spaced apart and adjust as necessary.
21. Continue by inspecting the rear idler wheel bolt and adjusting bolt locknuts for tightness.
22. Once finished with the rear suspension inspection, safely lower the sled to the ground.
23. Ensure smooth operation of the steering system by turning the skis from full left to full right.
24. Slowly pull the recoil rope out and inspect the handle and rope for any excessive wear.
25. Ensure proper fluid level in the brake fluid reservoir. A flashlight can be used to illuminate the reservoir in dark areas.
26. Operate the brake and throttle levers, taking note of any binding or sticking.
27. Check for proper operation of the parking brake.
28. Start the engine and ensure there are no warning lights present.
29. Inspect the headlights, taillight and brake light for proper operation.
30. Push the engine stop switch to stop the engine, and ensure it does not restart.
31. Restart the engine and ensure the engine turns off when the ignition switch is turned off.
32. Finish the inspection by ensuring there is enough fuel for your trip.
For more information, see you authorized Polaris Dealer. To find a dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.