Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Polaris snowmobile. To inspect or replace the drive belt on a Polaris AXYS Switchback Assault, follow these steps. Caution: Do not attempt to remove the drive belt after operating in reverse. The snowmobile must be stopped after forward motion to prevent damage to components during belt removal.
1. Ensure the vehicle is on a flat, level surface.
2. Turn the two quarter-turn latches on the left side panel and release the rubber strap. Pull the side panel out lift up to remove.
3. If needed, rotate the driven clutch counter-clockwise 1/4 of a turn to disengage reverse.
4. Set the parking brake.
5. Take note of the drive belt direction of rotation. The belt must be installed in the same direction if reusing.
6. Remove the clutch spreader tool from the panel trim. Spread the panel trim apart as needed to access the driven clutch.
7. Insert the clutch spreader tool into the threaded hole on the driven clutch and turn it clockwise to spread the clutch. Notice: If the tool does not turn readily, rotate the driven clutch an additional 1/4 of a turn counter-clockwise and try again.
8. Carefully walk the belt off the driven clutch and remove from the drive clutch.
9. Inspect the belt for any fraying, hour-glassing, loose cords, missing cogs, abrasions, burns or damage, and replace if needed.
10. Clean the area around the clutches thoroughly. Warning: Failure to remove ALL debris when replacing the belt could result in vehicle damage, loss of control and severe injury or death.
11. If replacing the belt, the part number on the belt should face outward when installed.
12. Loop the belt over the drive clutch and begin to walk it over the driven clutch sheave.
13. Spin the belt while removing the clutch spreader tool to help seat the belt.
14. Completely remove the clutch spreader tool.
15. Reconnect the side panel trim and reinstall the clutch spreader tool.
16. Reinstall the side panel by inserting the tabs at the top and bottom. Turn the two quarter-turn latches on the side panel and secure the rubber strap.
For more information, see your authorized Polaris Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google Inc.
Caliber® is a registered trademark of Caliber, Inc.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2022 Polaris Industries Inc.